[Jacob-list] ewes losing wool

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 12:50:27 EDT 2000

Just taking a break and enjoying the posts on the List once again.  I noticed
that this had not been answered, on the List anyway.  The question was why
ewes were losing wool.  They were about five weeks into lactation.

In spite of the fact that Jacobs are supposed to have "no tendency to shed"
according to the JSBA, I find this is not so in about a third of our sheep.
It is very late in the year and sheep who shed will show this at a given time
of year no matter if they were sheared or not. A second reason is that they
have lambed and this is stressful in the best circumstances.  A break in the
wool is very likely after lambing.  This is why it is recommended that you
shear a month before lambing if you want good fleeces. Ewes that have been
sheared also milk more heavily than those who have not.

Loss of wool can be from many things:  lice, bacterial infection of the skin,
stress from illness, lambing, heat, etc.  When ill, sheep can actually "slip"
their wool, and look like they have been completely sheared.  Usually this
comes from some acute illness. Some Jacobs actually have the nervous habit of
pulling wool when there is no medical reason to do so.  I traded a ewe who
did not pull her wool here but she was a "Nervous Nelly", but in another
situation where she was the bottom of the pecking order, she did.  I think
that eating wool (off another animal) may be both hereditary and/or diet
related.

You mention feeding two pounds of grain a day with lush grass.  In my opinion
this a LOT of grain for these sheep who usually do well on good pasture and
supplemented with sheep minerals and some grain when lactating.  Your sheep
may have been too fat at lambing adding to the stress of birth. Jacobs lamb
more easily and milk more heavily when they are not fat.

IF you can eliminate medical problems as mentioned before, stress and diet as
reasons for the loss,  then your sheep are just shedding.

Joan Horak