[Jacob-list] alternative to shearing?

Pbs123 at aol.com Pbs123 at aol.com
Sat Jun 3 09:14:06 EDT 2000

I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with, or had experience with the
hormone that is being used in Australia and New Zealand to exfoliate sheep
wool. The New Zealand wool bureau has a kiosk at the oriental rug fair each
year in New Delhi and they display photos showing how it works. It appears to
be pretty amazing stuff as the fleece apparently just sort of peels off in
about a week or so. In their trade jargon I think it's a "depilatory agent"
(or something like that). It sounds like getting the sheep sheared is a major
problem and I just wondered if this is an available alternative here in the
states.
One potential problem might be an adverse effect on horns, because they are
physiologically similar parts of the integument, but that may not prove to be
the case.

Peter S
Williamsburg VA