[Jacob-list] Lilac vs greying

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 11:36:00 EDT 2000

There do not seem to be a lot of lilacs out there and unfortunately we rarely
get to see what another person is really talking about.  Semantics in a realm
that is not well defined can be very difficult.  Basically I have found that
the greyers keep the dark facial markings while greying to varing degrees.
Sometimes there are spots that do not grey at all while on the same sheep
other spots do.  I have recently seen a sheep that has greyed to a really
lovely silver.   Lilacs on the other hand have a grey/brown or grey/blue
color at the skin from birth and show the same color on the face, and most of
the time on the legs (though this can be very dark). I have eprsonally always
seen an eye ring,  but I have seen this on blacks too. I also saw a ram that
LOOKS like a lilac but he is not, having bred him to lilacs he produced all
black lambs.  He used to be black but has faded or greyed all over.

In another post about the teardrop marking.  I have one like that this year,
but there is no lilac known in the background.  When you are speaking of
genetic things you really need MANY examples of the same thing to draw such a
conclusion.  Otherwise it is just an observation that may hold true for an
entirely different reason in a particular flock.

If greying did not appear to be so dominant in flocks it would be very
pretty,  but I can see the day when no Jacobs stay black but all grey as do
other breeds. I would hate to see that happen.

Joan Horak