[Jacob-list] Re: Reintroducing Rams

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 21:58:10 EDT 2000

In a message dated 7/13/00 7:06:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jacob-list-admin at jacobsheep.com writes:

<< Does anyone have advice or experience with reuniting rams after breeding
season?  I'm hoping the age/size difference helps and I can just put them
together in our smallest stall with some plastic barrels, hay bales or
cardboard boxes to keep them from damaging each other too badly until they
get used to each other.  I had considered using one stall for each, but I
think they would just bash the shared wall apart.  >>

Hi Heather,
We reintroduce ours by putting them in stall and closing it in until they
can't do much more than stand or lay down - with just enough space for food
and water.  Then I spray perfume ('tea rose' is lovely...) on their behinds
and noses so they all smell the same.  As soon as the activity level tapers
off - usually after a day or two. we let them have more space.  If they
behave they get released.  They're usually so glad to leave the stall and get
away from each other that the urge to fight is pretty much gone.

Another option is to put them in a trailer and take them for drive in the
country.  After an hour or two most of the fight is gone.  We've also done
that when picking up a new ram.  The future pasture mate goes on the trip too
and then they get to ride home together.  They're usually pretty good friends
by the time they get home.

Regarding Stephanie's question about goats with rams.  We keep our two
'token' Pygora wethers with several rams and they hold their own just fine.

Karen Lobb
bide a wee farm ~ registered Jacob & Navajo-Churro sheep
bideawee at iname.com / www.bideaweefarm.com
19562 NE Calkins Lane ~ Newberg, OR  97132 ~ (503) 538-7987