[Jacob-list] Showing lambs

sbennett sbennett at teleport.com
Thu Jul 13 12:32:56 EDT 2000

I've been showing Jacobs and most of the time there aren't any others
(Southern Oregon). I showed last year lumped in with "other wool breeds"
and this year at a Lamb Show, I was the only one with ANY wool breed
sheep, so I had my own category. My experience so far is that if the
judges know more about evaluating meat breeds, then the emphasis will be
on conformation, not necessarily size (they may ask you when your animal
was born), they'll be looking at meat potential (long loin, well
developed leg muscles, etc). This type of show is how I learned to choose
good body confirmation for evaluting my breeding stock.

 When you get lumped together in an "other wool breeds" category, the
judges tend to look for which animal, they think, best represents their
breed.

The meat breeds look really clean because they are sheared and bathed to
show off their conformation. Wools breeds are expected to have enough
wool to be able to evaluate it and the rules for show usually state; they
should be fitted per their breed standard. We hold ours and hand pick any
vegetable matter out of the fleece and fluff them up, wash their ears,
horns and feet with a damp wash cloth, that is all.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre