[Jacob-list] Fleece Types

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Sun Jul 9 11:08:47 EDT 2000

I agree with Linda B., that if a crimpy staple is stretched out, fiber length would be similar to the "longer staple".  Fiber with crimp makes a nice elastic yarn.  Since I spin with a short draw, I do not find it necessary to have 6" or 7" fiber to spin, although I like it also.  I tend to prefer a softer handle to my Jacob fleece and also like to blend it with luxury fibers.
Laurie, our Jacobs shed their belly wool in the spring, which I believe is a primitive trait.  It makes the job easier for our shearer.  I don't notice our softer-fleeced Jacobs shedding more or felting.  The majority of our fleeces are very open, which makes skirting easier - any vegetable matter shakes out easily.
We have a range of fleece types from 4"-7", soft and crimpy, soft and straight, medium handle, and a few of what I call the "primitive fleece types", which have some kemp throughout and more britch wool.  As Linda B. pointed out, I could also knit soft, "next to the skin" sweaters, weave fabric, or make rugs, all from our Jacob flock.

                                                             Mary Spahr