[Jacob-list] Electric Shearers

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 10:16:04 EDT 2000

Fred Horak here.  We have an "old" Oster that we have had for ten years that
seems to be vibrating apart year after year.  About three years ago we bought
a "Laser" electric shearer after a test that was rather convincing to us.
The "Laser" machine had a slightly smaller handle and seemed lighter in
weight and there was no vibration.  The blades seemed to run cooler and even
Joan would shear a sheep or two.

This year we sheared about 75 sheep and Joan did 6 or 7 perhaps.  Joan used
the Laser and I used the Oster.  We used three sets of blades (Oster blades
which come in the green label plastic things)...Joan used one set and I used
two.  However, my hand and finger muscles cramped up with the Oster and I
think it is related to the size of the barrel for the motor and vibration.
Joan enjoyed shearing...I faced it as another item on the "to do list".

Nose around the county fair for dealers and try some clippers out with a
hands on demo.  Hand size/motor size, weight and vibration are my hot
buttons.  Fred Horak