[Jacob-list] pinkeye

melody melody at empnet.com
Fri Dec 15 23:54:54 EST 2000

I had a ewe get a piece of chaff under her third eyelid and caused an
irritation which wound up getting infected. Had the vet out the day I saw a
watery eye and he got the chaff out, had to be a recent occurence because I
only have 10 sheep and I look them over pretty closely at chore times, and
when they come up for their ritz crackers I can get a good look at their
faces.  (I know, spoiled sheep). Anyway, apparently this secondary infection
is contagious and I now have 4 sheep with pinkeye in quarantine. Trying to
hold their heads still while putting in eyedrops is wearing me out!!! Does
anyone have any tips for this?  The rope halters drag across their eyes when
they struggle and I'm afraid of doing more damage. It's just me here, and
the vet's suggestion to straddle them and pull their heads to one side
doesn't work if you are 5'2". (I tried--now THAT was a circus/rodeo/clown
act if there ever was one)
Melody