[Jacob-list] Fear of Unfamiliar

melody melody at empnet.com
Fri Dec 15 16:45:00 EST 2000

My sheep don't seem to be too concerned about what I wear, either color,
style, or flapping scarves--but what they flee in terror is the pooper
scooper!!  I use a rake-and-scoop type pooper scooper from the pet store to
keep the accumulation down somewhat in the barn, and when I walk in with
those in my hands the sheep are out of there!!!! I can carry other things in
my hands, but not the scooper--and they see it at least every other day.
One would think I beat them with it.   While I am on the topic of sheep
behavior, I have one that thinks she's a goat.  She has been with my flock
for several months, but has never really bonded with them.  She chooses to
hang out with the goats in the pasture, and when they are put up in their
pen for the night stands by the gate and cries to be let in with them.  I'm
hoping that having a lamb will either convince her of her ovine origins, or
give her one of her own species to bond with.
Melody