[Jacob-list] bologna & books

Mark Essen messen at socket.net
Sun Dec 10 12:32:14 EST 2000

As we are discussing the types of sausages, I thought I would suggest a good book on the subject.  "THE MEAT WE EAT" was published in 1949 for $2.60 as a collage text.  It was authored by P. Thos. Ziegler.  It deals with a variety of meat animals and covers everything from how to slaughter, hang, cure, cut, and even tan.  It does have a slight weakness, however, it thinks that ground lamb is for patties and loaves.  Many of the sausage, bologna, etc. recipes I have tried by substituting lamb, pork, beef, and venison for each other with good success.
Mark Essen
Famous Acres
6701 County Road 353
Fulton, Mo.  65251
(573)642-0350
messen at socket.net
Jacobs 4-Horn Sheep, Pygmy Goats, Pyrenees, Peafowl, Turkeys, Highland Cattle, Yak, Emu, Fallow Deer, Zebu Cattle all living together in the Kingdom of Callaway