[Jacob-list] Hescock flock

George Benedict benedict at snet.net
Thu Dec 7 19:32:38 EST 2000

The stark black and white contrast of Mazie's Jacobs is something that many
have commented on. We noticed it immediately and even though the ewes we
have from her have been for a few years in the same environment as our
Jacobs from other sources, our Hescock ewes and their offspring seem to
maintain "blackness" better than any of our other Jacobs.

Additionally, it has been noted by us and others that the fleeces are less
crimped, even wavy in appearance. She also has a high number of light
muzzles and even pink noses. And, little spotting on the legs.

If you visit Scotland and seek out the old "Park Sheep" flocks you find that
they are very similar in a general sense to what you find in the Hescock
flock. Of course, this is not too surprising given the source of her sheep.
Especially with regard to fleece color, non-fading black, white legs and
pink noses.

In another vein, I'd sure like someone to explicitly define or describe the
difference between "primitive American Jacobs" and "improved American
Jacobs" so we might be able to use these terms in a non-subjective manner.