[Jacob-list] pens for rams

iseespots iseespots at email.msn.com
Thu Aug 31 07:27:37 EDT 2000

Hi,

I am in NC and have had ewes settled with twins in early August mid-90's
weather and the high humidity levels we usually experience during the
summer.

I personally do not agree with separating out sheep and leaving them without
a buddy of some sort at any point in time.  They are a flock creature and do
not seem to handle being by themselves well at all.  I have not been
impressed by the rams I have seen put in pens by themselves, but that is a
personal opinion.

Horns are going to get broken.  That is a fact of life, and RARELY is it not
going to happen.  I have only seen one 4-horned animal that was over a year
old that had not even tipped the end of a horn off---and I have seen quite a
number of them by now.

Rams also seem to like to go through 2Xwhatever boards.  I have personally
been lucky and had no real problems with rammy rams beating in my fencing or
gates.  I also have most of my areas wooded and the rams pick out a couple
favorite trees to beat their heads against for the pleasure of shaking the
trees.

If a ewe can stick her rear end through the fence within smelling distance
of the ram, the fence is likely to not stand.  Need I say more on my
perception of how far one should place rams from ewes to avoid the loss of
fencing?  I think the closest place I have had my rams on a permanent basis
is about 40 feet from the ewes, and there is lots of calling back and forth
when the ewes cycle but no broken fencing.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.