[Jacob-list] Bottle Jaw

iseespots iseespots at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 23 07:14:20 EDT 2000

Paul and all,

You might check out the possibility that the sheep may have simply been
stung.  I have had that happen a few times during the summer here, although
I have also had 1 case of legitimate bottle jaw in my flock.  I do always
treat with ivermectin, B complex, iron, Nutradrench, and A&D just to be on
the safe side.

Stings (and my vet has agreed with me) come up FAST in swelling and go down
slowly.  Bottle jaw shows up slower and if you are hands on and watching
your sheep closely, you will see this happening before you have a major case
of it.  I say this thinking of the hair-style faces of the Jacob rather than
the wooly versions of other breeds.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.