[Jacob-list] Apple Pressings as Feed

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Sun Aug 13 10:18:38 EDT 2000

At 07:03 8/11/00 -0400, Pavel wrote:

>I was going to feed the pressings to the sheep but worried that all that
>active yeast might upset their stomachs. Does anyone have any input on
>that?

My spouse, who's a home brewer & vinter, and a chemist can't think of any
reason that the yeast would bother the sheep, so long as it's not a huge
ammount of apples for a small number of sheep.  He suggested feeding in
small quantities, to avoid bloat etc.

We made cidar with fresh apples last year, but ended up composting the
remains after trying to save them to make apple butter and not getting it
done in a timely manner.  We'll try again this year.  :-)  What sort of
wine do you make with apples?  (Yes, I know apple wine is the obvious
answer, but I was hoping for something more explicite than that.)
--  --
Penelope Jacob, Doula (& John Nanci, Alchemist) pcj at efn.org
Quality horned milk goats & registered Jacob Sheep:  Stonering herd & flock.
Year-And-A-Day Farm, Umpqua Valley, Oregon
radical, fundamental, ornery & friendly poly pagan folk