[Jacob-list] unusual ram horns

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 28 10:33:57 EDT 2000

Sorry it took me a while to get the pictures in.  This 1998 lamb started out
looking really nice with back pointing horns and he had nice spots and great
fleece.  The little lamb picture is a bit fuzzy but the one horn on his top
left was just starting to go out to the side at that point - 1 or 2 months.
He had sort of soft horns and I thought that was strange but he was the
first and only surviving lamb that year and I had nothing to compare to.  He
broke a side horn fighting with his father about a month before the second
picture was taken.  At that point he was around 7 months old and it looked
like the top horns might change directions, but the side horn was already
getting too close to his face.
In the last picture he is probably 9 months old and the horns are a mess.
All of them needed clipping except the broken one.
His mother has very strong 2 horns and his father had a nice set of 4 horns.
I still need find time to do the calculations, but I'm pretty sure he would
be very inbred.  Has anyone else had anything like this happen?  He didn't
have a broken forehead - we had one of those last year and it was obvious
almost at birth.
I haven't had time to do all the calculations, but I'm pretty sure he would
have been inbred quite a bit.

Heather Hettick
OSU ATI
Hettick.1 at osu.edu