[Jacob-list] 4-horned Ram & Lamb

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Thu Apr 27 10:45:14 EDT 2000

The 4-horned ram was born here back in '93.  He was a yearling in this photo.  He did have top horns that tipped forward, so no application for registration was sent in.  But, since these horns did not impede grazing, I think he would have passed JSBA registration.  He did not have a Roman nose.  There was a forward-horned ram 3 generations back in his pedigree, which proves to me that horn direction is heritable.  Linda, your ram lamb is so pretty, I will keep my fingers crossed for you that his top horns don't go forward.  Since no one has commented yet on the 2 photos of 2-horned rams, I will go ahead and point out a couple of things about them.  The ram pictured kneeling down was one we had back in '89.  He had horns that were too close to his head and eventually had them cut back to eye level, which spoiled his appearance.  We completely eliminated close horn sets after this and one other incident of sawing off horns.  The other ram was born here in the 80's, and has the "seam" in the horns that I believe is referred to as "fused even horns".  Someone correct me if I am mistaken about this. He was registered in the foundation flock of JSBA, but never used for breeding.  We also completely eliminated the seamed horn trait.

                                                                        Mary Spahr