[Jacob-list] Nice rams

Dan Kennedy dankennedy at attcanada.net
Thu Apr 20 07:21:15 EDT 2000

Hercules is extremely quiet, he doesn't even challenge the DH rams but
certainly doesn't back down from them when they challenge him.       The
worst injuries that  I've had from rams were both from my big DH ram who is
normally extremely gentle and just hangs around with the donkey  trying to
cadge treats (which he doesn't get) but when I was bringing him home from
Ontario, I reached into the back of the truck to move a water bucket and he
slammed my arm into the side of the truck.     A definite ouch, although
forgivable given the circumstances!         One evening I was slow with the
grain and he hit the outside of my knee.     I wasn't able to walk for at
least 1/2 hour afterwards but finally managed to get back on my feet and
limp out of the barn.      I believe that rams can be gentle, playful,
devoted but they have their own ways of communicating with us and sometimes
that way hurts, perhaps a lot.       If we make pets of these powerful
animals, we must do so realizing the potential risks and not blame the
animal if something bad happens.
Dan Kennedy
Killorglin Farm
Prince Edward Island