[Jacob-list] Re: Ram behavior/lines,age

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 10:59:12 EDT 2000

Fred here.  We keep about twenty rams and notice some lines are scrappier
than others.  There may be a hormone line influencing behavior.

Among age groups we have observed more fighting among peer groups.  More
specifically, young rams (1-2 years) seem to run their dominance challenges
among themselves; the older rams (2-7 years) seem to understand their
relationships among their peer group.  The younger ones seem to challenge the
older ones by initiating dominace behavior and are quickly rebuffed.  The
size and weight of the older rams put the younger rams in place quickly and
challenges by the younger against the older are less frequent.

We have two rams (age 1 year) that keep their distance through the day but in
the early AM and at PM twilight "gatehrings" of the rams, look at each other
and "kapow".

Fred Horak