[Jacob-list] Re: Ewe behavior

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 13:09:01 EDT 2000

In a message dated 4/18/00 7:32:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
iseespots at email.msn.com writes:

<< Ewe behavior to lambs, though, is such that my girls do NOT tolerate those
bratty little neighborhood kids bothering them or being very close
physically.  Rarely do I have a ewe that would allow a lamb to attempt
free-loading either.  Most lambs do try to check out the ewes around, but
seem to learn very quickly with either early nudges away or simple slings
through the air that you just don't mess with strange women.  Are my ewes
behaving differently than many other flocks?  I must say this behavior would
fit in with the survival of the "my" genes rather than the "flock" genes
theories.

 Mary Ellen >>
In my flock, there is a babysitter, who naps with the lambs when the mothers
are out eating.  She's as old as the hills and doesn't have lambs of her own
but tends to the little ones in her "daycare"  Robin C.