[Jacob-list] chasing ewes

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Mon Apr 17 21:16:45 EDT 2000

Linda -

I seperated everybody from the poor ewe when I realized it was a non-stop thing for the poor girl.  I though she had about two week to go when she aborted.  When she aborted, one little lamb was dead upon delivery, and his lips had not fully formed yet; I assumed that his in-utero death had caused the discharge.  His twin sister was alive and fought, but she died about 12 hours after birth.

Frankly, I could not figure out whether chasing the ewe caused a lamb to die, and then the subsequent expulsion, or whether one lamb had died and the discharge was a warning sign that alerted the other animals.  This poor ewe also prolapsed (NOTHING went right with this poor gal).  She is back to health now, but she won't be bred again.  I doubt she'll survive the next trip to the slaughterhouse, actually . . .

Wish I had a better answer, but that's all I know.  I suppose if i knew precisely when a lambs lips are completlely fromed, that might tell me whether the one lamb died some time time before the expulsion or at the time the ewe was being chased.  Any ideas?

thom