[Jacob-list] 2/4 Horn Heritability

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 18:05:30 EDT 2000

G L Alderson (1992) reported on the inheritance of two and four horns for
Jacob, Manx Loughtan and Henrideans.  He concluded neither was dominant.
When 4 horns were matyed, some 2 horns appear; 4 horns appear from mated 2
horns.

Alderson suggested that there are two loci (chromosome 10) and allele A is
dominat to a at the first locus; B is dominant to b at the second.  Animals
that are A or AA and B- or BB are two horned.  Four horned are aa or bb or
both.  He then goes on to show how actaul breeding results support the two
loci and concludes...the inheritance is apparently complicated.  There may be
a basis for his pattern; it seems to be proven by breeder results, that true
genotype breeding always produces horns.

You have had your disappointment with the "good looking" father that produced
the horny "toad".  Don't give up.  Look at the family tree.  Find pictures of
sires and dams as far back as you can.  We used to buy sheep looking at a
picture of the "sheep" and looking at names on a pedigree.  Now we find
ourselves looking at names on the pedigree, calculating inbreeding
coefficients, looking for pictures of sires and dams.  There is fun pleasing
the sense of eye looking at phenotype issues...its the genetics you really
want to look at.  We are all still trying to learn.

We recently bred Thor (outstanding horns etc) to several four horned
ewes...the lambs were all four horned....and all had FORWARD horns like
Thor's MOTHER.  And still learning not to try to beat the genetic odds.