[Jacob-list] Registrations & Philosophies

Kate Barrett kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Mon Apr 17 13:24:57 EDT 2000

I think there are similar genetic problems with every breed.  This malady
sound suspiciously like the HYPP( I have forgotten what that stands for)
genetic disorder that affects Quarter horses. It is commonly known as Sudden
Death Syndrome.  This genetic disorder can affect any descendants of the
stallion "Impressive".  However not all of the descendents have the gene, so
genetic testing is neccesary to determine if the descendant is a carrier.
The gene is dominant, so if the horse has the gene, the horse has the
disease and is a carrier, if not there will be no gene to pass on.  This is
a well known fact in the Quarter horse world, and if you buy a Quarter horse
from the Impressive line ( as I have) you need to make sure both his dam and
sire are HYPP negative.  Amazingly enough people still keep and breed horses
that are not HYPP negative, for reasons unknown to me.  It took a lot of
tests and studies to determine the genetic origins of this disease, and I
believe the AQHA lived up to it's responsibilty as a registry by making this
information legally required on registration papers. I don't think that any
registry should expect to do less than to require open disclosure of any
genetic deficiency that is known to descend from a certain line. Of course
if you buy and sell unrgistered or unpedigreed sheep, you would be taking a
greater risk of inadvertantly bringing this deficiency into your flock.
By the way...my kids and I were watching " The Ten Comandments " with
Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner last night,  and I couldn't believe all the
Jacob sheep they had in the movie.  Where did they find them?  I think that
movie was filmed in the early 60's. They also had lots of Jacob sheep skins
as props.  Isn't it funny what you notice after you acquire an affinity for
something?
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs