[Jacob-list] Re: ESAU pictures

Dan Kennedy dankennedy at attcanada.net
Sun Apr 16 09:44:47 EDT 2000

I looked at your pictures and really don't know what to say.     As you know I don't register my Jacobs even though I believe they would be acceptable.    There are several reasons why I don't, I have certainly considered it, especially last year.      The one concern that I have is that registration based on appearence, regardless of what type of animal is involved, has a tendency to focus attention away from other equally important characteristics.     The whole subject was discussed on the list not that long ago and some excellent points were made at that time.       In Esau's case, he definitely has some horn problems but if he isn't passing the problems on to next generation and has all the other Jacob characteristics then I just don't know.      Is his horn pattern just a normal variation within the breed?       I'm inclined to think so.      If his sire was ok and his siblings are ok, then perhaps his horns are the result of other than purely genetic factors.     Can horn growth be affected by slight skull deformities cause in the womb or at delivery?      I know I wouldn't want to be an inspector.      It seems to be a difficult and probably thankless job.
Dan Kennedy
Killorglin Farm
Prince Edward Island
Jacob & Dorset Horn Sheep