[Jacob-list] Inspector Games

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Sat Apr 15 16:52:50 EDT 2000

Thom & all,

I understand your disappointment that your ram did not pass registration.  However, after viewing his photo on Linda's website, I truly believe that the decision to not pass him was the correct one.  Did you feel that you were taking a risk by using him as a breeding ram, not knowing if he would pass registration?  It is easy to become confused with some of the terminology where "desirable, acceptable but less desirable, and unacceptable" traits are concerned.  I would like to see photo examples of several sheep in each category published to clear up some of the confusion.  It might be difficult to get breeders to volunteer such photos.
I would describe Esau's horns (at the time of the photo) on the left, to be "balanced but no flesh between".  This is acceptable but less desirable.  The top and bottom horns on the right are where the problem lies, in my opinion.  Notice how the top horn lays so flat and close to the bottom horn.  Did you say that your ram was 7 months old in these photos?  I would venture to say that at present, his horns have grown even closer together.  Could we see a current picture of him?  To me, Esau's horns on the right side come under the heading of unbalanced.  Fusing is considered to be heritable, but JSBA allows it in the ewes to conserve genetics.  A fused-horned ram can pass this trait to many more offspring than a ewe.  I have always taken the "acceptable but less desirable"  fused, even horns to refer to 2-horned Jacobs who exhibit the longitudinal seam from base to tip of horns. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.
Max, the poster ram's photo was a good example of camouflage.  Since the photo was in black & white, and the ram standing in tall vegetation, I imagine that the majority of people who looked at the photo missed the 5th horn.  I know that I did.  When Mary Ellen pointed it out, I hunted up the picture and saw the 5th horn.  I suppose that "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder, but feel that the inspectors were following the standards set up by JSBA in passing the decision to fail Esau.  I do not believe that Ingrid Painter sets herself up to be a dictator, but relies on consultations with other inspectors to make joint decisions.  No, you are not too friendly with JSC members.  I belong to the JSBA, and happen to LIKE JSC members, value their opinions, and enjoy the exchange of information.  I do not feel as if there is some huge division between JSBA & JSC, just a difference in registration policies.  That does not mean that we are choosing up sides to be adversaries.  We all still have the common goal of breeding Jacob sheep.  There are many JSC members that I hold in high esteem for their dedication, knowledge, and enthusiasm for the breed. I am sure that other JSBA members feel the same way.

                                                                            Mary Spahr