Fw: [Jacob-list] Re: Fw: Color woes

Dan Kennedy dankennedy at attcanada.net
Fri Apr 14 07:03:55 EDT 2000

I am on the Executive of our Provincial Exhibition and I also coordinate the
sheep show at the Exhibition so I feel a lot of pressure to support the show
by showing sheep.      The first two years that I was involved, I entered
Jacobs in the pure bred classes.     Because of the small number of breeders
in each breed everyone competes in open classes.      Obviously this makes
it tough to judge.      The Jacobs ended up at the bottom of the pile along
side the Texels and the Dorset Horns.      The Romanovs are now getting
similar treatment.    The judge had no idea of what a Jacob should look
like, nor do I believe that he cared.      The size (and height for some
reason) of the animal seemed to be the only thing that really counted and
horns don't belong on sheep it seems.      The judges locally try hard but
their vision of a perfect sheep is based on what will produce a better
market lamb rather than which animal conforms must closely to a breed
standard.      The subsequent years I've taken Jacobs to the Exhibition and
put them on display with signage about the breeds and used them strictly to
educate the public about rare breeds and the need to preserve them.
This has worked really well and the sheep have been covered in the papers,
radio and T.V.      This has been much more satisfying and useful than
competing against NC Cheviots that are taller than some ponies I know.
Dan Kennedy
Killorglin Farm
Prince Edward Island
Jacob & Dorset Horn Sheep