[ARGUS] How many layer from tunnels can argus detect

Ming Fu via Argus-info argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 26 07:41:05 EDT 2024

Hi Carter,

Thank you for the quick response.

Ming

From: Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2024 11:52 PM
To: Ming Fu <Ming.Fu at esentire.com>
Cc: Argus <argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: [ARGUS] How many layer from tunnels can argus detect

Hey Ming,
Thanks for the sample packet … And now I see what your issue is …
Yes, you need ARGUS_DISCOVERY_TUNNEL=yes in your /etc/argus.conf …

No, we don’t parse GENEVE tunnels, and argus, in your example, finds the second UDP header and reports that header as the end-to-end transport header, with the GENEVE dst port of 6081.
All is not lost ...
If you give me a few days, I’ll add GENEVE parsing in the carter/gre branch of argus, and we’ll get your parsing past the GENEVE header …
We’ll treat GENEVE the same as GRE and we’ll have the UDP flow description in the GENEVE encapsulation DSR ...

Carter