[ARGUS] New development in argus 5.0.0

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Jul 5 12:28:14 EDT 2024

Gentle people,
Development continues with argus, even after the v5.0.0 release  !!!

We’re developing new argus features and fixing bugs using GitHub now, and so the GitHub repo’s for argus and argus-clients should be changing often.

If you clone the repo’s for argus or argus-clients, the main branch will contain the latest code, which should be considered stable production ready code.  However, it will be ahead of the official release software. Here you will find new features, capabilities, and bug fixes that are available prior to an official release.  We’ll try to keep the number of official releases down to 4 per year, so the GitHub repo’s main branch will be ahead of the official release branches.

If you want to use the lastest release or a prior release, checkout the branch that represents the version you want:
   % git checkout v5.0.0

I have tarballs of every argus release since 1992, so if you need something really old, we can provide.

Currently, we’re adding more encapsulation parsing to argus, ie RFC 8926 - Geneve.  The new code, like all new efforts, is being developed in a branch, which you can checkout …. There is not naming convention yet, but I like to use something like ‘Carter/feature’ for my branches.

Once the code is ready for testing, it will go into main, which for this particular set of features will be today or Monday …  generally we’ll transition branches to main when its ready for testing, and of course, the clients will need to provide support for the new features to print, sort, filter, aggregate, analyze, etc … So there should be companion branches in the clients repo to support any new features in argus, and they will be rebased to main when the argus features are rebased.

The main branch will have a version number that is ahead of the latest official release, the current version is 5.1.0.

If you are interested in argus development, please keep an eye on the GitHub openargus project for updates and new branches, and of course your bug fixes, new code, opinions and suggestions are always welcome.