[ARGUS] Destination Country

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 15 14:19:50 EDT 2022

Geolocation of IP addresses is fraught with problems and sometimes outfits like Maxmind get it wrong.  They openly admit this and there is a link on their main page to report problems.   Mostly errors are not at the country level but at the city level.

Whois is is not a good way to locate IP address as this information is administrative -- it gives the address of the owner of the address block which may actually be split into several different AS.  Large transnational organisations will have the head office listed in whois but the IPs are in use all over the world.

If I have doubts about a the location of a particular IP address I normally do a traceroute and look up the hops immediately before the target.

In New Zealand the maxmind city level data is very unreliable as the ISP use blocks that cover large geographic area.  Even in the cities it is unreliable.  I am in Auckland and I have a static IP address which has not changed for nearly 10 years.  But, at various times, it has been geolocated in several different cities.  Most of last year maxmind put me in Rotorua which is several hundred miles away. I noticed when I started getting advertising for stuff in Rotorua.

I do security for a large University and i deal with geolocation data every day but i never trust results individual IPs without collaborating evidence.

Russell at fulton.nz