[ARGUS] ratop is not producing any output

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Sep 11 08:37:18 EDT 2020

Hey Obaid,
Generally, if ratop.1 receives data, it gets displayed … a few things to check if you’re not getting anything.

   1. Is argus running ??
       When ratop connects successfully, the command line at the top left of the screen will show “ratop -S xx.xx.xx.xx:ppp"
       If ratop cannot connect,  the command top left will show “ratop -S”

   2. Is argus generating flow records ??
       ratop keeps a running total of received records on the bottom line, if that is not incrementing then argus isn’t doing anything.

A simple way to check on argus is to run “ra -S localhost:561” to see if there is any output …. If argus isn’t running, or isn’t listening for clients to attach, ra.1 will immediately return.
If ra.1 just hangs, then you’re connected but not getting any data, which suggests that argus isn’t generating any data …. If you get data, then you can go back to ratop.1 and continue to trouble shoot.

Carter