I have finally run out of a single CPU.

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue May 22 11:31:32 EDT 2018

Hey Russell,
Argus has been multi-threaded for almost a decade now, lots and lots of 10 and 40G argi out there and we have 100G argus available as a product today.  We still suggest that for high performance you use packet capture cards with their integrated flow steering support, but if that is not an option, and you’re using open source Argus, af_packet with flow load balancing, should work … but we don’t have native AF_PACKET socket support in the code today ...

To stay in line with using libpcap interfaces, so that current argus doesn’t change at all, you can look at https://github.com/nizq/libpcap-fanout <https://github.com/nizq/libpcap-fanout>.  This is based on PFQ, which uses af_packet I’m thinking … it should generate virtual devices that you should be able to open, specified in the argus.conf file (use ind(pendant) interfaces) and you get an argus thread per interface.  Will need to link to this version of libpcap in the ./configure run …

Holler if you go down this path and have any issues … also, if you get amazing results, it would be good to hear the experiences. !!!!

Hope all is most excellent,
Carter