first time argus

Ian Smith via Argus-info argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 5 05:40:47 EDT 2016

> Server side - how can it generate daily logs, with "argus -M time
> 1h" is not working, if I start the server "argus" it makes one file
> which becames bigger and bigger.

I'm only just starting with Argus myself, but I wanted just this, and
this is how I've done it (ie, if there's a better way from someone
that actually knows what they are doing I'd be happy to hear it):

Argus is tolerant of the log file going away, so you could simply move
the log file each day.  When the argus process discovers the log file
is missing it creates a new one.  However, unless you run that at
midnight each day you'll have log files with part of two days in each.

I run a daily cron script.  Argus is running writing to argus.out.
The script sets that log file aside (and argus makes a new one as soon
as it wants to log something), then uses rasplit to split the set
aside argus.out into new files named according to date.

Thus, at any time I have argus.YYYYmmdd files with whatever had
occurred up to the last time the script ran, and a 'live' argus.out
with what has happened since.  If I want to update the argus.YYYYmmdd
files to as of now, I just manually run the script.  That is, since
'-w' appends if the target file already exists, you can actually run
this as often as you like.  Thus, I don't have a live 'today' file,
but I can get one as of any time I want it.

#!/bin/sh

cd /var/log/argus
NEWLOG=argus.out.`/bin/date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S`

# set aside current log file - note we just need to move it
# - argus copes and makes a new one when the old one disappears
/bin/mv argus.out $NEWLOG

# split by days and delete the source file assuming it went ok
/usr/bin/rasplit -M time 1d -r $NEWLOG -w argus.%Y%m%d && /bin/rm $NEWLOG