IPFIX support timeline.

Richard Rothwell via Argus-info argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 4 00:20:26 EST 2016

Hi list,

I am investigating all of the bits need to get network monitoring up and running for AARNET.
Front-end most likely would involve the ELK stack in some way with Argus providing the probes.

However we are interested in getting our data from the routers rather than network interfaces.
But we have settled on IPFIX. Feeding IPFIX flows into the Argus rabins client seems to work, sort of.

There are 2 issues I need to address.

  1.  When will proper IPFIX support be available?
  2.  What are the limitations of feeding IPFIX flows into the front end of rabins when it expects NetFlow 9. (I’m just the programmer not the network expert.)
  3.  Feeding IPFIX data into rabins causes it to blow up pretty quick with a major memory leak. I have studied this with heaptracker, but no definite conclusion yet.

Regards from Richard