Capturing Cisco IPFIX flows

Carter Bullard via Argus-info argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 16 12:08:06 EST 2016

Hey Bassem,
The IPFIX support in argus is evolving, but you should be able to get flows from it.  Because of how IPFIX is designed, you must, of course,  listen to the port for a while before you can read flows.  This is because you must first receive IPFIX template records, which describes the format of the IPFIX records, so that the reader can know how to decode the IPFIX messages.

If you are having problems, you should run ra.1 with the -D debug option, and it will tell what is going on, especially with regard to reading flows, discarding because it doesn’t have a template, receiving templates and then decoding the messages.  Compile the clients with a .debug tag in the root directory, if you haven’t done this already:

   % cd /directory/where/argus-clients/is
   % touch .debug
   % ./configure;make

Then run you commands:

   ra -A -S cisco://any:9996 <cisco://any:9996> -D6

Officially, the argus project is designed to show you that you can do much better than IPFIX and Cisco Netflow.  I would recommend generating argus flow data, rather than collecting Cisco flow data, and trying to take advantage of the improvements argus data provides.

Carter