Missing sport / dport for Argus 3.0.8

Kjell Tore Fossbakk via Argus-info argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 4 09:10:27 EDT 2016

Hello.

Im running Argus Version 3.0.8 (same with clients) with libpcap 1.5.3.
Previously we ran Argus Version 3.0.6.1 with libpcap 1.1.1.

We use ra with DELIMITERS "," and a list of fields, such as sport and
dport. If we have an ICMP with sport=0, or TCP/UDP with sport=0/dport=0 and
run this through both these Argus versiosn we get the following behavior;

Using Argus 3.0.6.1 with libpcap 1.1.1 we get 0x0000 as sport for ICMP.
Using Argus 3.0.6.1 with libpcap 1.1.1 we get 0 as sport / dport for
TCP/UDP.
For 3.0.0.6.1 we would seem to get sport 0 as icmp type=0, and sport 8 as
icmp type=8.

When Now, when we use the newest version;
Using Argus 3.0.8 with libpcap 1.5.3 we get <empty data> as sport for ICMP
where we got 0x0000 for 3.0.6.1
Using Argus 3.0.8 with libpcap 1.5.3 we get <empty data> as sport/dport for
TCP/UDP where we got sport/dport 0 for 3.0.6.1

By <empty data> we mean there is nothing between the delimited on the
output.

I'v tried to read ChangeLogs, CHANGES etc in argus, argus-clients, libpcap.
Also did a little "grepping" without much success.

So, something must have changed. Question is was the change in Argus or
libpcap? Was it deliberate, or is this a bug?

Kjell Tore