Raconvert does not produce the same binary output file

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Sep 28 22:42:36 EDT 2015

Hey John,
Here is a raconvert.c that should be better than what you’ve experienced.  Its fixes the errors and generates consistent data.
In order to get the data to behave, especially TCP traffic, you need to provide raconvert.1 enough information to preserve the state that you want.  The way to preserve the state field and the direction, is to use the “-z” option when creating the ascii csv file.
This will print the TCP state machine, rather than SYN, CON, FIN, CLO.  This data is needed to seed the conversion algorithm with enough info to set the direction and the TCP state.

So this works for me with your data … we use racount.1 to test simple integrity of the data:
  racount -r argus.file
  ra -r argus.file -zc, | raconvert -c, -w - | racount
  ra -r argus.file -zc, | raconvert -c, -w - | ra -zc, | raconvert -c, w - | racount

These seem to generate the same data using your data.
Give this new raconvert.c a run, and give us a thumbs up or down !!!

Carter