Argus and PF_RING ZC drivers

Craig Merchant craig.merchant at oracle.com
Tue Oct 6 11:07:59 EDT 2015

Hey, Carter.

I'm trying to get Argus to recognize my PF_RING ZC interfaces, but it says it can't find them.

I see the following at line 4436 of ArgusSource.c:

   if ((strstr(device->name, "dag")) || (strstr(device->name, "napa")) ||

       (strstr(device->name, "dna")) || (strstr(device->name, "zc"))   ||

      ((strstr(device->name, "eth")) && (strstr(device->name, "@")))) {

It looks to me like you've compiled support for both ZC and the old DNA/libzero interfaces into Argus.  I'm running the following ZC client to fan out my network traffic:

zbalance_ipc -i enp48s0f0,enp48s0f1 -c 10 -n 4,1 -m 1 -d

That means my interfaces are zc:0, zc:1, zc:2, and zc:3 for the load balanced traffic and zc:4 for the second full copy of the traffic.  Argus doesn't recognize any of them as valid interfaces:

ArgusWarning: 05 Oct 15 23:07:12.848794 ArgusOpenInterface zc:10 at 4: SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device

The tcpdump that ships with OEL 7 can't see them either, but the pf_ring aware version that comes with the ZC drivers sees traffic on those interfaces.

Is there something I can do to make Argus aware of the pf_ring ZC interfaces?

Thanks!