De-aggragating multiple MAC addresses in flows

David Edelman via Argus-info argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 31 22:38:33 EST 2015

The argus.conf file (move it from the distribution’s /support/Config directory to /etc  has this component:

#

# The Argus can be configured to support a large number of

# flow types.  The Argus can provide either type, i.e.

# uni-directional or bi-directional flow tracking and

# the flow can be further defined by specifying the key.

# The argus supports a set of well known key strategies,

# such as 'CLASSIC_5_TUPLE', 'LAYER_2', 'LAYER_2_MATRIX',

# 'LAYER_2_MATRIX', 'MPLS', and/or 'VLAN', or the argus can

# be configured to # formulate key strategies from a list of

# the specific objects that the Argus understands.  See the

# man page for a complete description.

#

# The default is the classic 5-tuple IP flow, CLASSIC_5_TUPLE.

#

ARGUS_FLOW_TYPE="Bidirectional"

ARGUS_FLOW_KEY="CLASSIC_5_TUPLE"

#ARGUS_FLOW_KEY="CLASSIC_5_TUPLE+LAYER_2"

It sounds like the last (commented out) option might do what you need. It adds the layer 2 (MAC information) to the classic 5-tupple (protocol, source address, source port, destination address, and destination port [all at layer 3]) to form the aggregation key.

Otherwise, I agree with Peter, use two interfaces on the box running Argus and connect the passive taps to that box. If you do this, look at the entry in the configuration file that specifies the interfaces:

#  The syntax for specifying this either on the command line or in this file:

#     -i ind:all

#     -i dup:en0,en1/srcid

#     -i bond:en0,en1/srcid

#     -i dup:[bond:en0,en1],en2/srcid

#     -i en0/srcid -i en1/srcid            (equivalent '-i ind:en0/srcid,en1/srcid')

#     -i en0 en1                           (equivalent '-i bond:en0,en1')

#     -i en1(dlt)/srcid -i en1(dlt)/srcid

#

#  In all cases, if there is a "-e srcid" provided, the srcid provided is used

#  as the default.  If a srcid is specified using this option, it overrides

#  the default.

#

#  Srcid's are specified using the notion used for ARGUS_MONITOR_ID, as above.

#

# Commandline equivalent   -i

#

#ARGUS_INTERFACE=any

#ARGUS_INTERFACE=ind:all

#ARGUS_INTERFACE=ind:en0/192.168.0.68,en2/192.168.2.1

#ARGUS_INTERFACE=ind:en0/"en0",en2/19234

#ARGUS_INTERFACE=en0

If you specify the srcid for each one (the /192.168.0.68. /“en0”, or /192.168.2.1) you can use the srcid as well as smac and dmac when you analyze the flows with the clients. If you use something besides an IPv4 address or a unsigned 32-bit integer , enclose the string in quotes and limit it to four or fewer ASCII characters.

If you are using Cisco ACLs as your firewall, take a look at rapolicy() which can ingest an ACL and a flow then label each flow with its outcome as well as the specific ACL entry that caused the outcome.

If there is a call for a more generic version of rapolicy() taking it beyond pure Cisco ACL based filter analysis, I would be happy to look into making the changes as time allows.

--Dave