PCR App Byte Ratio question...

John Gerth gerth at graphics.stanford.edu
Fri Sep 26 17:24:33 EDT 2014

On the terminology, in the release code, ABR was renamed PCR (producer/consumer ratio)

I'm not stathead either but it seems to me you need to think carefully
about what you're trying to model when playing with the metrics

For example, since  pcr == ( s_ab - d_ab) / (s_ab + d_ab), and t_ab = s_ab + d_ab,
then   t_ab * pcr = s_ab - d_ab
Thus denormalizing the ratio and giving back the absolute difference. Indeed, this
shows that given the pcr and t_ab, one can retrieve both s_ab and d_ab.

One can also look at the aggregate pcr over a set of flows by simply summing
the s_ab and d_ab before calculating the pcr. I've played a little bit with
this, but have done nothing systematic yet. One needs to form a hypothesis to test.

Anyway, it's clear that looking at the distribution of metrics for individual flows
would be different than looking at the aggregates, but I'm pretty sure that the
stat literature discusses this kind of analysis

I have no intuition about what pcr*duration might signify

--
John Gerth      gerth at graphics.stanford.edu  Gates 378   (650) 725-3273