Argus 3.0.8 daemon hangs (init.d/.conf conflict)

7j21g9+ouka5g at guerrillamail.com 7j21g9+ouka5g at guerrillamail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:49:05 EDT 2014

Hi Carter.

If I change the line to uncommented ARGUS_DAEMON=no, then argus will daemonize OK when invoked through init.

Via the init scripts, it is recommended to set any options with DAEMON_ARGS or should all configuration be done in the argus.conf file? My intention was to deploy our "standard" argus.conf with global options to all sensors, and set the specific interfaces and per-system options through the init script. But perhaps it is better done all through the config file...

Cheers.
Nick

On 2014-10-08 21:28:32 carter at qosient.com wrote:
> Hey Nick,
> What happens if you you just change the ARGUS_DAEMON=no ???
>
> Carter
>
> On Oct 8, 2014, at 5:21 PM, <7j21g9+ouka5g at guerrillamail.com>
> <7j21g9+ouka5g at guerrillamail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have identified an issue resulting in the hanging of the Argus daemon
> when started with init scripts (tested here on Debian 7.6) and if the
> /etc/argus.conf file has uncommented and set:
> >
> > ARGUS_DAEMON=yes
> >
> > and the /etc/init.d/argus script is enabled, then when the system boots
> it will hang before it gets to login (can't even ^C out of it). It is then
> necessary to reboot into single user mode (or enter via SSH) to stop and
> disable the Argus service.
> >
> > By comparison, passing the -d flag twice on a command line invocation of
> argus results in:
> >
> > ArgusError: 08 Oct 14 15:59:59.547665 argus: ArgusEstablishListen: bind()
> error
> >
> > ...and then dumps me back to the shell, so it would appear that Argus is
> struggling when it parses argus.conf with ARGUS_DAEMON=yes and has -d
> passed in via the init script.

----
Sent using GuerrillaMail.com
Block or report abuse: https://www.guerrillamail.com/abuse/?a=QFNzEB5NSroThy64%2BW0LYVrGQ86C18AexKlXMtryHg%3D%3D