new client code on the server

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Mar 18 21:46:00 EDT 2014

Gentle people,
Some last minute bug fixes that were too big to push into argus-3.0.9/10.

   http://qosient.com/argus/dev/argus-clients-latest.tar.gz

Because several off beat pcre implementations have generated core dumps
recently, we’ve made compiling with libpcre an option for ./configure,
so if you need pcre support, you'll need to do this now...

    ./configure —with-libpcre

Other fixes to:
   rasqlinsert() needed DB flushing at the end of the run
   ratop() fix color and searching bugs
   ra* programs to tweak queue processing issues when sorting.

I made a few tweaks, and we’re now processing around 1M records per second
on standard Intel for simple record types.  This is racount() reading files
with 3-4M records in them.  Small files run in the 500K records per second,
as we have some initialization overhead.  But I do have some bigger files (> 4GB)
with complex user data and metadata labels, that are only getting around
150-200K records per second.  So parsing the records from packed binary
to expanded memory representation does need some tweaking… but for the most
part, we’re getting there.

This is a 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, with 14GB of ram, so its not too shabby.

I believe that user data does impact us, but not labels so much. I’ll look into it.
If you guys want to report performance on raw data reads, independent of
record processing or analytics, I’m using this:

   time racount -r file

Thanks for all the support and patience !!!!!