release status and packaging

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Jun 24 10:50:53 EDT 2014

Gentle people,
We are finding minor issues with the release candidates.
The only big issue is “failure to compile” on CentOS 5,
due to include file clean ups.  I’ll have that fixed today.
Other than that report, all seems to be working.

In creating system specific builds, there may need to be
some tiny tweaks to the client spec files and Makefile.in
files to get the consistent behavior we want on all systems.
I should have that ready by the end of this week.

At some point I will put the official argus-3.0.8 and
argus-clients-3.0.8 on the developers site, hopefully
this Friday.

The basic build strategy that we are working with,
for binary packages, is to provide builds with support
turned on for all options, except GeoIP.  That means
libpcap as the packet source, with SASL turned on in argus.
For the clients, we need SASL (libsasl2), PCRE (libpcre),
flow tools (libft), for all ra* programs.  Ratop, and
other curses based programs, such as rasqlinsert, need
readline (libreadline), and ncurses (libcurses) and
RDBM based clients need mysql (libmysqlclient_r) support.

The primary labelers, ralabel and radium,  can use GeoIP,
when available, but we still need to understand how MaxMind
likes its code to be distributed, so we can conform,
comply, all the co* words that are applicable.

If anyone finds anything that is amiss, hopefully
you’ll get in there before we go official.