Measuring maximum effective throughput of WAN links

Ruven Gottlieb ruven.gottlieb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 15:24:21 EDT 2014

On 6/2/14, Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com> wrote:
> Hey Ruven,
> If your observation domain is say an interface, or a link,

Yes, it's an interface: the one for the LAN.

> You should be able to use the load rate, or whatever. Check out the manpage
> for rabins.1.

OK. Now, say I want to produce a graph showing my data rate throughout
the day, with 5 minute resolution. How do I show which parts are
maxima that are caused by the DSL or Fios line saturating (or more
likely, hitting it's rate cap), or being slowed by congestion
upstream; and maxima which are merely due to users not causing much
data to flow over the wire, i.e. the line could do 6Mb/sec, but the
users are only using about 4 Mb/sec.?

Our typical case is that we have a DSL line that is supposed to
deliver a maximum of 6Mb/sec. Sometimes we do speed tests and only
show e.g. 2 or 3 Mb/sec. We want to be able to have a consistent way
of monitoring our sites to see if and when we aren't getting the
quality of service we pay for.

> ragraph() can also generate a graph for you, but that requires a little bit
> more, such as having rrd_tool on the machine etc….

That's fine. I can add it.

Thanks,

Ruven Gottlieb