Measuring maximum effective throughput of WAN links

Ruven Gottlieb ruven.gottlieb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:01:54 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm interested in using Argus to get something equivalent to "speed
tests" of small LANs of 10-20 users connected to the Internet by DSL
or Fios links.

I want to measure the maximum effective network speed throughout the
day, and show the output as a graph with a resolution of 5 minute
intervals.

As a test, I have argus set up on our main router/gateway/firewall
box, running OpenBSD 5.5. I have another box collecting data into a
MySQL DB using rasqlinsert. Just to see how much info gets collected
and how much space it takes up I used this from the mailing-list:

rasqlinsert -S 10.1.15.1:561 -m none -d -M time 1d -w
mysql://argus@127.0.0.1/argus/argusTable_%Y_%m_%d -M norec -s seq
stime ltime dur saddr daddr proto sport dport sbytes dbytes spkts
dpkts sappbytes dappbytes abr sload dload srate drate sco dco

... but I'm not sure I need all that data. Even so it doesn't take up
much space, and we can probably discard it after generating output.

I also want to find out how much bandwidth I am consuming on the LAN
per day. I am not a networking guy, so recipes are welcome.

Thanks,

Ruven Gottlieb