Name associated with ASN in label?

David Edelman dedelman at iname.com
Thu Jul 3 09:10:15 EDT 2014

Let¹s try that again:

 select saddr,sas,asname from argusoutput,asns where ((sas=asnum) and (sas
in (2911, 2912, 2913));

From:  David Edelman <dedelman at iname.com>
Date:  Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM
To:  branchbunch <branchbunch at gmail.com>, Jesse Bowling
<jessebowling at gmail.com>
Cc:  Argus <argus-info at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject:  Re: [ARGUS] Name associated with ASN in label?

May I suggest that you really want the asns table to be:

 (
 asnum INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
 asname text);

I would probably use VARCHAR(some number) for the AS name, but the unsigned
is pretty important for the AS number.

I would also create a VIEW that does the join and gives you some additional
flexibility:

  CREATE VIEW addrwithasn AS SELECT a.saddr as ¹saddr', a.sas as ¹sas',
b.asname as Œasname¹ FROM argusoutput a LEFT JOIN asns b ON a.sas = b.asnum;

This gives you the ability to retrieve the Argus data even where the AS
number is missing from the GeoIP data and you can do selects for specific AS
number or source address:

 SELECT * FROM addrwithasn WHERE sas = in (2911, 2912, 2913);

Which IMHO is better than

 select saddr,sas,asname from argusoutput,asns where (sas=asnum) and (sas
in (2911, 2912, 2913));

‹Dave