errors compiling on Mac OS 10.9.1

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jan 6 14:09:36 EST 2014

On 6/01/2014, at 12:09 pm, Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com> wrote:

> Hey Russell,
> Which version are you trying to compile ??

argus-clients-3.0.6.2

> Mac's now don't use gcc, they are using Apple LLVM,
> and it doesn't seem to like static declarations.
> xdtoi() is defined in argus_filter.c, if there is a static definition,
> just remove the word static, and see if it gets better.

it is declared inline rather than static.  I tried removing the inline but I still get the load error:

gcc -O -o ../../bin/ratemplate ratemplate.o ../../lib/argus_parse.a ../../lib/argus_common.a ../../lib/argus_client.a -lz
  "_xdtoi", referenced from:
      _argus_ether_aton in argus_common.a(argus_util.o)
make[2]: *** [../../bin/ratemplate] Error 1

It is many years since I did active work with C but I am puzzled because the loader is looking for _xdtoi but the code defines and use xdtoi.   I assume this is ‘normal’.

Russell