rabins, ragraph and aggregation of protocols

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Thu Feb 13 08:17:00 EST 2014

Hey Jesper,
There are a number of places where packets can be lost when the load gets high.  What loads are you talking about, 1Gbps, 10Gbps ???

If you are port mirroring, the switch can drop copied packets.  This is obvious when one tries to mirror the ingress and egress stream of a single interface out a single output interface.  If you are mirroring into 2 interfaces, then packet loss usually moves to the capture cards on the sensor, but not always.  Port mirroring bugs do exist in a lot of router and switch vendors boxes.  So a description of your setup will help.

The OS that argus is running on can drop packets.  Many systems aren't spec'd to run at full network line rate.  This issue, however, is not really a problem on newer systems, but it is a real consideration.

And the Libpcap interface can drop packets, this happens when argus isn't reading packets fast enough.

So what version, what speeds, what equipment, all comes into play.

Glad to hear that its working most of the time for you.
Send email and we'll get through this process for you and the list !!

Carter