ARGUS Binary Size

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Aug 4 16:18:41 EDT 2014

Hey James,
~2M records should run around 0.5-1G bytes of flow records,
depending on the types of flows.  Run this:

   % racount -M proto -r argus.13.50

That will give you some idea of the mix. Also if there are
VLAN tags, MPLS labels, they add a little bit to each record.
TCP records generate the most data to store, so if you have
a lot of them, then 1G may not be outrageous for 2M flow
records.

Argus records compress well, so gzipping them may make you
happier.  All the ra* programs can read compressed argus
data files, so that may be of help.

If you aren’t interested in TCP loss and performance data,
you maybe able to reduce the binary sizes by stripping out
the ‘net’ DSR.

   % ra -r argus.13.50 -M dsrs="-net” -w /tmp/argus.13.50

and compare the sizes.  The Network DSR has a lot of good
stuff in it, but if you’re wanting to get the record size
down, that may help.

Carter