yet another kdd cup question

Oğuz Yarımtepe oguzyarimtepe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 13:07:46 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com> wrote:

> Hey Oğuz,

Hi, Carter

> I don't know what the KDD whatever is, and I'm thinking that
> its a pretty odd set of observations that they want to do some
> expectation based anomaly detection on ???

It is a dataset that is frequently used at machine learning related papers.
It is old but the thing is it has labeled data. Many academic papers use it
for testing their machine learning approach and show the efficiency by
comparing the actual results.

> These are not well defined metrics, so, I'll try to respond, but
> understand, whatever it is that they think they are doing, there
> is a better way to do anomaly detection.

I don't know the details of these metrics. I searched a bit, didn't get any
results yet. They are a bit confusing to me also. I thought some of you on
the list might have known the details of them.

> Suggestions inline.
> Carter

Thank you very much. I will dig into them.

--
Oğuz Yarımtepe
http://about.me/oguzy