Anonymization of argus flow data

Kaustubh Gadkari kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 13:11:15 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com> wrote:
> Hmmm, if racount() takes 18min, I would think ranonymize() should take about 20min
> to complete.   You can run " racount -M addr " to get racount() to printout address
> information, like how many addresses are in the file.

Carter, I ran racount with -M addr, but the process hasn't finished
yet (it's been running for about 90 min now). I'll let it run for a
while longer and keep you updated.

> ranonymize() works on a single argus record at a time, reading a single record,
> anonymizing all the various data elements, and then writing the anonymized
> record out to the output file.  If ranonymize() hasn't written out a record recently,
> then its possible that its in an infinite loop, especially if its running at 100%, and
> its been running for a month, and it seems to have stopped writing into the file.
> What was the last " modified " time on your output file ???

It hasn't stopped writing to file .. the last modified time is right
now, since the process is still running.

> If you've compiled debug support into your ra* programs, you can send a USR1
> signal to the running ranonymize() and it will start writing debug information out
> to stderr().  Send a USR2 to turn debug output off.  Assuming that ranonymize()s
> process id is 35122, you can do this:
>
>    % kill -USR1 35122
>    % kill -USR2 35122
>
> If you've compiled development support into your programs, you can attach
> to ranonymize() using gdb(), and then step through the program to see where
> it is.

I haven't compiled my ra* programs with debug or development support.
If you can tell me what I need to change in the Makefiles, I can do so
and run ranonymize with gdb and see what's happening.

Kaustubh

>    % gdb ranonymize 35122
>
> This will attach to the program, and stop the acitve process.  If this all seems
> unfamiliar, send more email, and I'll walk you through one of these strategies.
>
> Carter
>

> On Sep 3, 2013, at 9:56 AM, Kaustubh Gadkari <kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Kaustubh Gadkari
>> <kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> I am not quite sure how many IP addresses there are in the file. My
>>> ranonymize.conf looks like this:
>>>
>>> RANON_PRESERVE_ETHERNET_VENDOR=yes
>>> RANON_PRESERVE_BROADCAST_ADDRESS=yes
>>> RANON_NET_ANONYMIZATION=sequential
>>> RANON_HOST_ANONYMIZATION=sequential

--
Kaustubh Gadkari