ra reads argus file very slow

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Wed Oct 30 19:27:13 EDT 2013

Hey Zi,
The only time I’ve seen ra() have problems reading and writing
data, to the level you report, is when one tries to do DNS
lookups to get the names of the IP addresses, instead of
dotted decimal notation.

I can read about 2G of flow data in about 65 secs, on a
standard machine, but I can cat() that file in about
2.5 secs, so your machine may not be performing as well
as you would want.

What version of argus and clients are you using??
Do you have a .rarc file in your home directory?
What does a line of ra() output look like ?

Carter